The “Methane Recovery and Utilization Project of Shandong Richeast Biotechnology Co., Ltd. in Wastewater Treatment” is developed by the Shandong Richeast Biotechnology Co., Ltd. It is a wastewater methane recovery, electricity generation and heat production project located in Linyi City, Shandong Province, in the People’s Republic of China.
The project is implemented as a new facility (Greenfield project), which was started in July 2008. It produces about 50,000 tonnes/year of alcohol from cassava, and generates about 1,500 m3/day of wastewater containing as much as 50,000mg/L of COD.
In the absence of the project activity, the most common and cost-effective measures for wastewater treatment, electricity utilization and heat production for the alcohol industry in this region, namely, an open anaerobic lagoon, purchasing electricity from grid and the heat provided by a coal-fired boiler, would be taken.
Therefore, the project will reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions through avoidance of methane emissions to the atmosphere from wastewater treatment in open lagoons and a reduction of fossil fuel consumption.
The Shandong Richeast WWT Methane Recovery Project will install UASB and IC reactors as a sequential wastewater treatment system for alcohol wastewater treatment. The treated water from the anaerobic system will be further treated in the subsequent aerobic and other wastewater treatment facilities so as to meet the local wastewater discharge standards (500mg/L of COD), and then discharged to the local wastewater treatment plant for further cleansing. In addition, the project activity will also install a boiler and a biogas-fuelled generator (0.5 MW of total installed capacity) to produce steam and electricity by utilizing biogas recovered from the anaerobic reactors.
It is estimated that the project will annually generate over 3,000 MWh of electricity energy to displace part of the electricity purchased from the North China Power Grid, save more than 5,000 t of coal and reduce approx. 71,000 tCO2e of GHG annually, in combining methane emission avoidance of 58,000 tCO2e, biogas based heat production of 10,000 tCO2e and biogas based electricity generation of 3,000 tCO2e.
This project started its operation on the 11th of August, 2009.
|Project type:||Wastewater Treatment|
|Location:||Linyi City, Shandong Province, China|
|Methodology:||AMS-III.H. ver. 16 – Methane recovery in wastewater treatment, AMS-I.C. ver. 19 – Thermal energy production with or without electricity, AMS-I.F. ver. 2 – Renewable electricity generation for captive use and mini-grid|
Besides its prominent climate protection effect, the Shandong Richeast WWT project has both socioeconomic and environmental benefits and contributes to sustainable development in the following ways:
- Risk of explosion and fire associated with uncontrolled emission of methane is eliminated.
- Local air quality is improved as biogas is cleaner energy than coal and emits less air pollutants such as SOx and PM.
- By chosing biogas as the energy source, large amounts of coal ash waste are avoided.
- Closed anaerobic reactors reduce odour from anaerobic decomposition process.
- Effective utilization of energy resources contributes to save exhaustible energy sources.
- Introduction of state-of-art wastewater treatment and methane recovery system may encourage other companies to replicate the project, which results in dissemination of biogas utilization technology and positive effect on the local economy as well as the environment.
- Creation of 22 employment opportunities in the target area of the project helps to raise the local living standard.
The project is located in the Yinan Industrial Development Zone, Yinan County, Linyi City, in the southeast of China’s Shandong Province.
A project factsheet will be uploaded soon.
For further information on this project, please contact us in our offices in Munich or Beijing, or use the contact form on the right side of the page.